Saturday, July 8

Introductions? Nah...Well fine...


I live in a small town about 15 and 30 miles from much bigger towns, where sane people often go to find something to do that doesn't involve cows or tipping them. Or perhaps they leave just to find cows to tip, since the cows seem to have gone off to find more interesting things to do other than being tipped. In any event it's very boring here over the summer, so I while away the hours playing games, watching movies and looking for work. I also like to program, which is good cause if I didn't that'd mean I've wasted two years of college learning how. It's a hell of a lot more fun than tipping poor cows at any rate. Maybe I'll write up a program that simulates tipping cows to satisfy all the people who can't find any to tip.
(I think I've killed that joke by now....Like a dead cow--Shut up you!!)


I've a strong tendency to be punny. It's like funny, except you get moans and groans that aren't caused by laughing so hard that all you can is moan or groan. I suppose you could say it gets you the end result of a good joke without all that fussing about with your mouth open and clutching your sides. Kinda like Stuntmutt's One One Se7en, only he's got a whole comic, and all I got is this shirt (It's a good shirt though).

I bring him up, and specifically his comic, because I'm using his master chief to test out my program
I'm working on. It's a build upon some earlier work I've down to make line designs, also known as curve stitching, with a computer. I learned how to do these about 5 years ago, and I've made tons of them by hand, usually doing various classes in high school that failed to keep my attention. These aren't anything like those designs you can make with the gears and pens and such. I can't remember what they're called. Anyhow you can make these with nothing but a ruler, paper, and a pen. Go here to see a guide on how to make them. It's really very simple, anyone can do it.

Right now it can take a text file of line coordinates, look for any points that meet, then draw a line design for it. There is a ton of work to do, without even adding more features. I've still got to find out how to get Java to stop at the last valid entry in the array. I could do that easily in C++, but I can't do graphics so easily in C++, so I'm stuck with Java. Then I need to add in a whole host of error checking, cause even a well written program can be run down by, as a good friend of mine would say, "User Error!". (He likes to shout it out ). I've a few ideas for more things to add in. But one step at a time of course :)

1 comment:

tmaromine said...

Hm, good enough to make me read it all. :)

Cow tipping isn't a hobby there, or at least wasn't when there were cows, aye? :p

That stitch-art-thing looks interesting.. will've to try.

Cheers